Please join us for one of our most important events of the year -- AABANY's Annual Meeting. All active members in good standing are invited to attend and vote in the AABANY Officer and Director Elections for the following year.
The AABANY Annual Meeting will be held on the 12th day of February 2015 at 7:00 pm at Arnold & Porter, 399 Park Avenue, New York, New York, 10022-4690. At this meeting, a vote will be taken to elect officers and directors for the upcoming year and to amend the by-laws. Please register on this page if you plan to attend in person.
If you are an active member who would like to vote in these elections but are unable to attend in person, please complete the Annual Meeting Proxy Ballot. You may email a PDF version to email@example.com, send a fax to (718) 228-7206, or mail a hard copy to:
45 Rockefeller Plaza, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10111.
All proxy ballots must be received by Friday, February 6, 2015. To read candidate statements and biographies, please click on each candidate's name.
The AABANY Nominations Committee presents the following slate of candidates:
President-Elect: Susan Shin
Vice President, Programs and Operations: Marianne Chow
Vice President, Finance and Development: William Ng
Treasurer: Naf Kwun
Recording Secretary: Ligee Gu
Membership Secretary: Irene Tan
The following persons have been nominated to fulfill a Director position for a term of two years:
Set forth below, please find a summary of the material proposed changes to the by-laws.
• Section 2.01: Revised categories of membership:
◦ Requiring residency and/or practice in New York State for Active Members;
◦ Including in the Associate Member category lawyers admitted in other states and foreign countries but not residing or practicing in New York State;
◦ Moving law school graduates pending admission to the NYS Unified Court System who reside or work in New York State from the Associate Member category to the Law Student Member category; and
◦ Changing the Paralegal Member category to an Affinity Member category to include paralegals and other non-lawyer legal professionals as well as other professionals such as accountants, brokers, etc.
• Section 2.03: Specifying the threshold for removal or suspension of members for misconduct towards AABANY or the legal profession generally to a majority vote of the Board, with the chance to appeal upon a ⅔ vote of the Board in favor thereof.
• Sections 3.01 and 3.02(c): Allowing for meeting notices (including those for the Annual Meeting) to be distributed to Members by mail or e-mail.
• Sections 3.02(a): Granting the Board authority to establish an alternate Annual Meeting date at its discretion prior to the start of the next Fiscal Year.
• Section 4.03: Limiting to two (2) the number of individuals on the Board from the same employer at the time of his/her election during the applicable Fiscal Year.
• Section 4.06: Changing the procedures for the removal or suspension of a Director to a majority Board vote for suspension of any Director and a ⅔ Board vote for removal of any Director. A suspended/removed Director may present an appeal to the Board, which may by a ⅔ vote reinstate such suspended/removed Director.
• Section 4.12: Allowing the President or the Board to call a Special Meeting of the Board.
• Section 4.16: Clarifying that telephone participation in a Board Meeting is limited only to Board Members for any portions of such meeting that may be closed.
• Section 5.02: Requiring all Officers to be Active Members.
• Section 5.06: Changing the procedures for the removal or suspension of an Officer to the same thresholds (including an appeal) as proposed for Directors in Section 4.06.
• Section 6.04: Making the Nominations Committee a committee of the Board.
To read the current version of our by-laws, click here. To see the proposed changes in their entirety, click here.
We hope to see you at our Annual Meeting. As always, we look forward to another fruitful year with all of members. Don't forget to cast your ballot!