To register, please visit: http://about.bna.com/Big-Law-Business-Diversity-Inclusion
On Thursday, October 29th Bloomberg BNA will host a Diversity and Inclusion Summit to address challenges facing large law firms and legal departments in attracting, promoting and retaining diverse talent and improving diversity. The Bloomberg BNA Big Law Business Diversity & Inclusion conferences build on Big Law Business, a leading provider of news, analysis and commentary on the legal profession.
For complimentary registration and event information, visit here. To follow the event on Twitter, use #BigLawDiversity.
“Diversity is one of the most important issues facing law firms and corporate legal departments in today’s marketplace,” said Scott Mozarsky, President, Cross Platform Division, Bloomberg BNA. “A diverse workforce — coupled with a commitment to diversity and inclusion from the top down — is critical to an organization’s growth, success and ability to drive innovation and deliver unique perspectives to clients and customers. At our New York and San Francisco events we have assembled a strong lineup of speakers — including Fortune 100 general counsel, law firm managing partners and diversity officers — to engage in spirited dialogue around diversity and inclusion issues affecting the legal profession.”
The events are designed for top decision-makers in the legal industry, including chief legal officers, in-house counsel, managing partners, and human resources personnel. They expand upon the success of the inaugural Big Law Business Summit, held this summer in New York City. Agenda and registration information is below:
8:30 am Registration & Breakfast in the Big Law Lounge
9:00 am Opening Remarks
- Casey Sullivan, Senior Editorial Director, Bloomberg BNA Big Law Business
9:10 am Keynote Interview
- Kelly Tullier, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Visa Inc.
- Interviewed by: Ellen Pollock, Editor, Bloomberg Businessweek
9:45 am The Business Imperative for Diversity
Leaders in the legal community continue to focus the importance of diversity to establish a flourishing law business. Diversity is essential considering the most sophisticated legal advice comes from attorneys with a variety of perspectives. The largest law firms wield influence in the law, politics and the greater business community; yet these firms continue to be diversity-challenged, despite all their best efforts. A panel of legal industry leaders will discuss the business case for promoting and maintaining a diverse legal team.
- James McNasby, General Counsel, Marsh LLC
- Ellen Moran Dwyer, Managing Partner, Crowell & Moring LLP
- Richard Rosenbaum, Chief Executive Officer, Greenberg Traurig LLP
- Tony West, Executive Vice President, Government Affairs, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, PepsiCo
- Moderator: Lisa Kassenarr, Editor-at-Large, Global Women’s Coverage, Bloomberg News
10:30 am Networking Break
10:45 am Attracting the Best
Competition to attract top legal talent is fierce and establishing a diverse workforce of top-quality legal talent starts with the pipeline. A panel of industry experts will discuss recent successes and challenges in law firms’ recruitment and retention strategies. From law student to associate to partner, the goal is for the next generation of lawyers look more like their clients.
- Ian Graham, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, BAE Systems
- Jami McKeon, Chairperson, Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Raymond M. Williams, National Diversity and Inclusion Partner and Co-Chair, Product Liability and Mass Torts Practice, DLA Piper
- Moderator: Kulwinder Verma, Global Recruiting Partner, Bloomberg LP
11:30 am Inclusion Strategies: Retain and Promote
It is common knowledge that the legal community remains one of the least diverse. Large law firms have made strides towards hiring diverse candidates but work is still to be done in retaining top talent. Retaining and developing those individuals and leveraging the diverse perspectives they convey is where the true challenge lies. This session will provide best practices from companies and firms that champion the value of a diverse and inclusive workforce. Hear from legal and corporate leaders who have achieved success in this area and explore common challenges in maintaining a diverse legal team.
- Ricardo Anzaldua, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, MetLife
- Michael Blair, Presiding Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Kim Koopersmith, Chairperson, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Jacqueline Marcus, Partner and Diversity Committee Chair, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Moderator: Gabrielle Lyse Brown, Director of Diversity and Inclusion, New York City Bar Association
12:15 pm Luncheon
1:30 pm Event Concludes