In this edition
- Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fundraiser at Public House, Nov. 25
- AABANY Holiday Party on Dec. 6 at Kristalbelli
- Joint Bar Holiday Party at Copacabana on Dec. 6
- Government Service and Public Interest and Prosecutors' Committees Host Joint Holiday Mixer, Dec. 10
- Skadden Supports Typhoon Haiyan Relief Efforts
- NAPABA Donates $10,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief
- AABANY CLE on Effective Lease Negotiations Strategies, Dec. 5
- Corporate Law Committee Presents Ethics CLE Program, Dec. 12
- The Partner Track is Real Simple Magazine's December Book Club Pick
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: FALANY Report on Typhoon Haiyan, CUP Holiday Party, Garfinkel Essay Deadline
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fundraiser at Public House, Nov. 25
AABANY joins with FALANY, AALFNY, APALA-NJ and APABA-DC to co-host a fundraiser for Typhoon Haiyan Relief on Nov. 25 at the Public House in midtown Manhattan. Thanks to the numerous donors to the silent auction. Even if you cannot attend the fundraiser, you can make a bid online for some of the items. Support the event. All proceeds will go to Gawad Kalinga and University of the Philippines Medical Alumni Society in America to help the victims of Typhoon Haiyan. For more details, go to http://bit.ly/typhn_pub112513
AABANY Holiday Party on Dec. 6 at Kristalbelli
AABANY will be holding its Annual Holiday Party at Kristalbelli on Friday, Dec. 6, starting at 6 pm. If you plan to attend, let us know by registering at bit.ly/hldyprty13. We will be collecting donations for Typhoon Haiyan relief at the party. Please save the date. Hope to see you there.
Joint Bar Holiday Party at Copacabana on Dec. 6
AABANY joins with the Association of Black Women Attorneys, Black Bar Association of Bronx County, Dominican Bar Association, Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York, Metropolitan Black Bar Association, Nigerian Lawyers Bar Association and the South Asian American Bar Association of New York for the Annual Joint Bar Association Holiday Party at Copacabana on December 6. Over 500 professionals from the New York City area attend the event. Toys are also being collected for Toys for Tots. For more details go to bit.ly/jointbar_hp13.
Government Service and Public Interest and Prosecutors' Committees Host Joint Holiday Mixer, Dec. 10
AABANY's Government Service and Public Interest Committee in collaboration with the Prosecutors' Committee are hosting a joint holiday mixer on December 10 at Apple Lounge. They will be collecting supplies for women staying at shelters run by the New York Asian Women's Center. For more details, see the listing under Upcoming Events.
Skadden Supports Typhoon Haiyan Relief Efforts
AABANY commends Skadden on their generous support of Typhoon Haiyan Relief. The firm is donating a total of $50,000 directly to Doctors Without Borders and the Salvation Army World Office. In addition, the firm will match employee donations up to $500 per employee until the threshold of $25,000 is reached, for a potential total donation of $75,000. In the coming weeks, AABANY will work with Skadden on other Typhoon Haiyan relief fundraisers that their employees can take part in and support
NAPABA Donates $10,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief
NAPABA last week announced that it is donating $10,000 to the International Rescue Committee.
"NAPABA is committed to supporting the victims of the Typhoon Haiyan catastrophe. We will be donating $10,000 to support the IRC, which is currently focused on clean water, health care, and other urgent needs in the Philippines," said William J. Simonitsch, president of NAPABA. "Almost a million people have been displaced internally, and the rebuilding efforts will be ongoing for years to come. We encourage all those who are able to do so to make a charitable donation to the IRC or to other groups working on the ground."
To read the full press release go to bit.ly/napaba_typrlf.
AABANY CLE on Effective Lease Negotiation Strategies, Dec. 5
AABANY's Real Estate Committee and Solo and Small Firm Practice Committee will be presenting a CLE entitled "From LOI to Execution - Effective Lease Negotiation Strategies." The program is free for AABANY members but pre-registration is required. One CLE credit in Areas of Professional Practice will be given. For more details see the listing under Upcoming Events.
Corporate Law Committee Presents Ethics CLE Program, Dec. 12
This program will examine Rule 1.13 of the New York Rules of Professional Conduct. This will be an interactive session that will focus on a basic issue that arises when a lawyer is engaged by an organization: who is the client? Among the issues covered, we will discuss how to identify the appropriate representative of the organization and what happens when the organization's interests differ from those of the organization’s directors, officers, employees, members, shareholders or other constituents.
To register for this event go to bit.ly/ethcs1212_mmbr or bit.ly/ethcs1212_nnmbr. This event provides 1.0 CLE credits in Ethics and is free for members.
ThePartner Track is Real Simple Magazine's December Book Club Pick
Congrats to Helen Wan, author of The Partner Track, for getting her book selected as the Real Simple magazine December Book Poll pick of the month. Thanks to everyone from AABANY and other NAPABA affiliates who sent out numerous emails and used social media to get the word out to cast votes for Helen’s book. If you haven’t read the book yet, go out and get it. It’s a terrific read!
AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2013 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
In this Issue:
- NAPABA Northeast Regional/AABANY 4th Annual Fall Conference
- Special Feature: AABANY in NY Law Journal
- President's Letter from Mike Huang
- AABANY Profile: Peter Kim
- Committee Profile: Real Estate Committee
- AABANY Feature: 2Q 2013 Review
- AABANY Feature: APA History Month
On WE Blog @ AABANY: FALANY Report on Typhoon Haiyan, CUP Holiday Party, Garfinkel Essay Deadline
PALS has announced the Summer 2014 Civil Rights Fellowship Program. This and other fellowship announcements can now be found at AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships," or go tobit.ly/Fellowsh ip_Announcmnts.
Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Nov 25: AABANY cosponsors: Typhoon Haiyan Relief Joint Fundraiser, 7PM to 10PM, Public House NYC. For more information click here.
- Dec 5: From LOI to Execution- Effective Lease Negotiation Strategies, 6PM to 8:15PM, Baker Tilly Virchow Krause LLP. Members click here. Non-members seeking CLE credit click here.
- Dec 6: AABANY Cosponsors: The Joint Bar Holiday Party, Copacabana. For more information click here.
- Dec 6: AABANY Holiday Party, 6PM to 9PM, Kristalbelli. For more information click here.
- Dec 10: Public Interest and Prosecutors' Committee's Joint Holiday Mixer, 6PM to 9PM, Apple Lounge & Bom Bar. For more information click here.
Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Dec 2: 16th Annual AILA New York Chapter Symposium, 7:30AM to 5:30PM, New York Marriot Marquis Hotel. For more information click here.
- Dec 2: NYCLA Public Hearing on Continuing Effects of Judicial Budget Cuts, 9AM to 4:30PM, NYCLA Home of Law. For more information click here.
- Dec 3: An Evening at Thurgood Marshall Courthouse, 6PM to 8PM, Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse. For more information click here.
- Dec 3: Nigerian Lawyers Association presents: Immigration Reform Roundtable, 5PM to 8PM, U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y. For more information click here.
- Dec 3: A Holiday Networking Event Celebrating Diversity in the Profession, 6:30PM to 8:30PM, The NYC Bar. For more information click here.
- Dec 4: SABANY presents: Hanging Out the Shingle - The Business of Starting Your Law Firm, 6:30PM to 8PM, Outten & Golden LLP. For more information click here.
Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
- Temporary Staff Attorney (Sandy/Homeowner Rights), Queens Legal Services
- Family/Domestic Attorney, Staten Island Legal Services
- Compliance Manager, Prudential, Newark, NJ
- Vice President, Corporate Counsel, Prudential, Shelton, CT
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|