In this edition
- Updated Website Now Online
- AABANY's Career Placement Committee Needs You!
- AABANY Holiday Party on Dec. 6 at Kristalbelli
- Joint Bar Holiday Party at Copacabana on Dec. 6
- Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fundraiser at Public House Raises Nearly $5,000
- Government Service and Public Interest and Prosecutors' Committees Host Joint Holiday Mixer, Dec. 10
- Women in Law Connect Holiday Mixer, Dec. 11
- AABANY CLE on Effective Lease Negotiations Strategies, Dec. 5
- AABANY Co-Sponsors Event on Affordable Care Act, Dec. 12
- Corporate Law Committee Presents Ethics CLE Program, Dec. 12
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: Garfinkel Essay Deadline, The Partner Track, NAPABA Donates to Haiyan Relief
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
We hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday.
As of Dec. 2, AABANY's website is live on a new platform, as announced last week in a standalone email sent out on Nov. 26 and Nov. 27. For current AABANY members, you need to log in to the website and reset your password, per the instructions contained in that email blast. If you did not receive the blast or need help resetting your password, please contact Margaret Langston (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she can assist you.
Renewing or new members are encouraged to sign up as members by selecting the "Join AABANY" item in the top navigation menu.
Registration for events was closed over the weekend (Nov. 30 and Dec. 1) while the migration was taking place. Registration is now open so if you were unable to register over the weekend, please try again now.
|AABANY’s Career Placement Committee is going strong helping match qualified AABANY members with available legal jobs but we can do more.If you know of a legal job opening email it to the Career Placement Committee co-chairs (Robert Leung, Michael Park and Gurinder Singh) at email@example.com. If you are currently seeking or considering seeking a new position, let us know your special skill sets, expertise and interests by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Registration now open!
AABANY will be holding its Annual Holiday Party at Kristalbelli on Friday, Dec. 6, starting at 6 pm. If you plan to attend, let us know by registering at bit.ly/hldypty2013. We will be collecting donations for Typhoon Haiyan relief at the party. Please save the date. Hope to see you there.
AABANY joins with the Association of Black Women Attorneys, Black Bar Association of Bronx County, Dominican Bar Association, Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York, Metropolitan Black Bar Association, Nigerian Lawyers Bar Association and the South Asian American Bar Association of New York for the Annual Joint Bar Association Holiday Party at Copacabana on December 6. Over 500 professionals from the New York City area attend the event. Toys are also being collected for Toys for Tots. For more details go to bit.ly/jointbar_hldypty13.
|Thanks for everyone who came out on Nov. 25 for the Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fundraiser at Public House organized by FALANY and co-sponsored by AABANY, AALFNY, APALA-NJ and APABA-PA. Attendees crowded the bar and the mezzanine, sharing drinks and conversation over pub food fare. A separate room contained numerous silent auction items, included a pair of boxing gloves signed by Manny Pacquiao. Nearly $5,000 was raised. Proceeds will go to benefit Gawad Kalinga and UPMASA.|
AABANY's Government Service and Public Interest Committee in collaboration with the Prosecutors' Committee are hosting a joint holiday mixer on December 10 at Apple Lounge. They will be collecting supplies for women staying at shelters run by the New York Asian Women's Center. For more details, see the listing under Upcoming Events.
|Please join us for the fourth installment of the Women-in-Law Connect networking series, which brings together women attorneys from diverse backgrounds and practice areas with an interest in expanding their network and finding opportunities for growth in the legal field. Attorneys from the Black Bar Association of Bronx County, the Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York, the Metropolitan Black Bar Association, the Muslim Bar Association of New York and the South Asian Bar Association of New York will be joining AABANY's Women's Committee in hosting this event. For more details see the listing under Upcoming Events.|
|AABANY's Real Estate Committee and Solo and Small Firm Practice Committee will be presenting a CLE entitled "From LOI to Execution - Effective Lease Negotiation Strategies." The program is free for AABANY members but pre-registration is required. One CLE credit in Areas of Professional Practice will be given. For more details see the listing under Upcoming Events.|
AABANY's Real Estate Committee and Solo and Small Firm Practice Committee present a CLE program on "Navigating the Affordable Care Act for Solo and Small Firm Attorneys and Small Businesses." This event is being co-sponsored by the Alzheimer's Association New York Chapter and features prominent speakers: Steven De Castro, Kalusugan Coalition, Noilyn Abesamis-Mendoza, Coalition for Asian American Children & Families, Audry M. Diop, Outreach and Partnerships Office of Citywide Health Insurance Access Human Resources Administration. For more details and to register, see the listing under Upcoming Events
This program will examine Rule 1.13 of the New York Rules of Professional Conduct. This will be an interactive session that will focus on a basic issue that arises when a lawyer is engaged by an organization: who is the client? Among the issues covered, we will discuss how to identify the appropriate representative of the organization and what happens when the organization's interests differ from those of the organization’s directors, officers, employees, members, shareholders or other constituents.
To register for this event go to bit.ly/ethc121213_mmbr or bit.ly/ethc121213_nnmbr. This event provides 1.0 CLE credits in Ethics and is free for members.
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2013 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at email@example.com.
AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
In this Issue:
- NAPABA Northeast Regional/AABANY 4th Annual Fall Conference
- Special Feature: AABANY in NY Law Journal
- President's Letter from Mike Huang
- AABANY Profile: Peter Kim
- Committee Profile: Real Estate Committee
- AABANY Feature: 2Q 2013 Review
- AABANY Feature: APA History Month
On WE Blog @ AABANY: Garfinkel Essay Deadline, The Partner Track, NAPABA Donates to Haiyan Relief
PALS has announced the Summer 2014 Civil Rights Fellowship Program. This and other fellowship announcements can now be found at AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships," or go to bit.ly/Fellowship_Announcmnts.
Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Dec 5: From LOI to Execution- Effective Lease Negotiation Strategies, 6PM to 8:15PM, Baker Tilly Virchow Krause LLP. Members click here. Non-members seeking CLE credit click here.
- Dec 5:
AABANY Co-sponsors: Unspoken Rules, 6:30 PM- 8:30 PM, New York City Bar Association. For more information click here.
- Dec 6: AABANY Cosponsors: The Joint Bar Holiday Party, Copacabana. For more information click here.
- Dec 6: AABANY Holiday Party, 6PM to 9PM, Kristalbelli. For more information click here.
- Dec 10: Public Interest and Prosecutors' Committee's Joint Holiday Mixer, 6PM to 9PM, Apple Lounge & Bom Bar. For more information click here.
- Dec 11: Women-In-Law Connect, Holiday Mixer 2013, 6:30PM to 9:30PM, Pranna. For more information click here.
- Dec 12: Navigating the Affordable Care Act, 5:30PM to 7:30PM, Alzheimer's Association. AABANY members click here. Non-members click here.
- Dec 12: Corporate Ethics: Who is Your Client? 6PM, Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP. AABANY members click here. Non-members click here.
Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Dec 3: An Evening at Thurgood Marshall Courthouse, 6PM to 8PM, Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse. For more information click here.
- Dec 3: Nigerian Lawyers Association presents: Immigration Reform Roundtable, 5PM to 8PM, U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y. For more information click here.
- Dec 3: A Holiday Networking Event Celebrating Diversity in the Profession, 6:30PM to 8:30PM, The NYC Bar. For more information click here.
- Dec 3: MBBA Young Lawyers Holiday Party, 6:30PM to 9PM, Papillon. For more information click here.
- Dec 4: SABANY presents: Hanging Out the Shingle - The Business of Starting Your Law Firm, 6:30PM to 8PM, Outten & Golden LLP. For more information click here.
- Dec 11: Law & Reorder Program: Sylvia Ann Hewlett on Sponsorship, 12PM to 2PM, Sidley Austin LLP. For more information click here.
- Dec 12-13: DRI Symposium - Insurance Coverage and Practice, Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel. For more information click here.
- Dec 13: Submissions: 2014 David A. Garfinkel Essay Contest. For more information click here.
Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
- Compliance Manager, Prudential, Newark, NJ
- Vice President, Corporate Counsel, Prudential, Shelton, CT
- Staff Attorney, ACLU, New York & San Francisco
- Transactional IP Attorney, PeterSan Legal Staffing, Northern New Jersey
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|