In this edition
- Help AABANY Reach Goal of 1,000 Paid Members
- Thanks for Coming to the AABANY Holiday Party
- Joint Minority Bar Judicial internship Program: Applications Now Being Accepted
- James Lin Quoted in New York Post
- Government Service and Public Interest and Prosecutors' Committees Host Joint Holiday Mixer, Dec. 10
- Women in Law Connect Holiday Mixer, Dec. 11
- AABANY Co-Sponsors Event on Affordable Care Act, Dec. 12
- NAPABA-Prudential Fellowship Program: Applications Now Being Accepted
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: AALDEF 40th Anniversary, Downtown Mock Trial Tournament, Transnationalism
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
AABANY is nearing 1,000 paid members. At the AABANY Holiday Party on December 6 we kicked off our drive to 1,000 campaign and handed out postcards to make it easier for new or renewing members to let us know that they wish to join or renew. Look for these bright red postcards at upcoming AABANY events between now and the end of February. Our goal is to surpass 1,000 paid members by the time of our 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner on February 26, 2014.
If you belong to an AABANY Committee, be sure to let us know that your Committee referred you, because that Committee can get additional funds in their budget for each member they sign up.
In addition, all memberships received between now and February 25 will be included in a raffle for some great prizes. Check our website for details and updates.
Tell your friends! Renew or join today!
Thanks to everyone who came out for the AABANY Holiday Party on Dec. 6 at Kristalbelli. Many members and friends gathered to kick off the holiday season, filling up nearly the entire space on the second floor. We kicked off the AABANY drive to 1,000 paid members campaign and collected donations for Typhoon Haiyan Relief. Donors received free tickets to the Joint Bar Holiday Party taking place that same night at Copacabana.
They also had their business cards entered in a raffle drawing for two All-Access tickets to a Nets game at the Barclay Center in January. The prize was donated by our party sponsor, Hudson Court Reporting. Thanks to Hudson for sponsoring! The Holiday Party ended around 9pm and a number of the attendees headed over to the Joint Bar Holiday Party at the Copacabana, not letting the rain get in the way of continuing the holiday celebrations.
We wish everyone a happy holiday season!
The Joint Minority Bar Judicial Internship Program (JMB JIP) is now accepting applications until January 18, 2014.
The Association of Judges of Hispanic Heritage ("AJHH”), the Asian American Bar Association of New York ("AABANY”), the Asian American Law Fund of New York ("AALFNY”), the Metropolitan Black Bar Association ("MBBA”), the New York Women’s Bar Association Foundation, the Puerto Rican Bar Association ("PRBA”), and the South Asian Bar Association of New York ("SABANY”) have partnered again for the JMB JIP to offer law students the opportunity to continue their legal education as summer judicial interns in New York and New Jersey metropolitan area courthouses. Judicial internships are exceptional learning opportunities that offer tremendous insight into the process of judicial decision-making. They offer an opportunity to strengthen analytic and legal writing skills.
The brochure/application is attached here and is also available at www.jmbjip.org
Please direct any questions to the program’s co-directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New York County ADA (and AABANY Director) James Lin was quoted last week in the New York Post in an article entitled, "Bryant Park Shooter Apologizes to Victims' Families." To read more go to http://bit.ly/jlin_nypbpk.
|AABANY's Government Service and Public Interest Committee in
collaboration with the Prosecutors' Committee are hosting a joint
holiday mixer on December 10 at Apple Lounge. They will be collecting
supplies for women staying at shelters run by the New York Asian Women's
Center. For more details, see the listing under Upcoming Events.|
Please join us for the fourth installment of the Women-in-Law Connect networking series, which brings together women attorneys from diverse backgrounds and practice areas with an interest in expanding their network and finding opportunities for growth in the legal field. Attorneys from the Black Bar Association of Bronx County, the Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York, the Metropolitan Black Bar Association, the Muslim Bar Association of New York and the South Asian Bar Association of New York will be joining AABANY's Women's Committee in hosting this event. For more details see the listing under Upcoming Events.
AABANY's Real Estate Committee and Solo and Small Firm Practice Committee present a CLE program on "Navigating the Affordable Care Act for Solo and Small Firm Attorneys and Small Businesses." This event is being co-sponsored by the Alzheimer's Association New York Chapter and features prominent speakers: Steven De Castro, Kalusugan Coalition, Noilyn Abesamis-Mendoza, Coalition for Asian American Children & Families, Audrey M. Diop, Outreach and Partnerships Office of Citywide Health Insurance Access Human Resources Administration. For more details and to register, see the listing under Upcoming Events
The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) is pleased to announce a partnership with Prudential Financial, Inc. (Prudential) and Gibbons, P.C. (Gibbons) to provide a fellowship opportunity to a highly-motivated, third-year law school student. Through this partnership, NAPABA will select a third-year law school student to be the 2014 NAPABA-Prudential Law Fellow.
To read more go to http://bit.ly/aabany_fllwshps. Learn about other Fellowship opportunities also listed on that page.
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2013 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at email@example.com.
AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
In this Issue:
- NAPABA Northeast Regional/AABANY 4th Annual Fall Conference
- Special Feature: AABANY in NY Law Journal
- President's Letter from Mike Huang
- AABANY Profile: Peter Kim
- Committee Profile: Real Estate Committee
- AABANY Feature: 2Q 2013 Review
- AABANY Feature: APA History Month
On WE Blog @ AABANY: AALDEF 40th Anniversary, Downtown Mock Trial Tournament, Transnationalism
Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Dec 10: Government Service/Public Interest and Prosecutors' Committee's Joint Holiday Mixer, 6PM to 9PM, Apple Lounge & Bom Bar. For more information click here.
- Dec 10: AABANY Board Meeting, 7PM to 9PM, Linklaters. For more information click here.
- Dec 11: Women-In-Law Connect, Holiday Mixer 2013, 6:30PM to 9:30PM, Pranna. For more information click here.
- Dec 12: Navigating the Affordable Care Act, 5:30PM to 7:30PM, Alzheimer's Association. AABANY members click here. Non-members click here.
- Dec 12: Corporate Ethics: Who is Your Client? 6PM, Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP. AABANY members click here. Non-members click here. CANCELLED
Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Dec 11: Law & Reorder Program: Sylvia Ann Hewlett on Sponsorship, 12PM to 2PM, Sidley Austin LLP. For more information click here.
- Dec 12-13: DRI Symposium - Insurance Coverage and Practice, Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel. For more information click here.
- Dec 13: Submissions: 2014 David A. Garfinkel Essay Contest. For more information click here.
- Dec 16: PLI presents: Ethical Issues in Pro Bono Representation 2013, 9AM to 11AM, Practising Law Institute. For more information click here.
- Dec 17: KALAGNY Annual Holiday Party, 7PM to 9PM, Starry Night. For more information click here.
Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
- Staff Attorney, ACLU, New York & San Francisco
- Transactional IP Attorney, PeterSan Legal Staffing, Northern New Jersey
- Advocacy Director (Africa Division), Human Rights Watch, Nairobi, Kenya
- Staff Attorney (TEMP), Bronx Legal Services
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|