In this edition
- Annual Dinner: Early Bird Deadline is extended through Feb. 7
- Annual Meeting on January 28
- NAPABA-Prudential Fellowship Program: Deadline for Applications is Feb. 16
- Help AABANY Reach Goal of 1,000 Paid Members
- AABANY Receives 2013 Bar Leaders Innovation Award
- "22 Lewd Chinese Women" Performed at Cadwalader on Jan. 30
- MCCA Diversity & the Bar: NAPABA BU 40
- Applicants Sought for US Bankruptcy Judge Positions in Manhattan
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: Human Rights in the Philippines, Lunar New Year at Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Fellowship Announcements
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
It's time to lock in your sponsorship for AABANY's 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner!
This event is taking place on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at Cipriani Wall Street at 6:00 p.m.
Premier 25th Anniversary Level $20,000
Platinum Level $15,000
Gold Level $10,000
Silver Level $7,500
Sponsor Level $4000 (for firms of 25 persons or smaller)
For those who wish to purchase Individual Tickets, February 7 is the extended early bird deadline.
Please see below a table of ticket prices for the Annual Dinner:
Early Bird deadline 2/7/14
Regular Deadline 2/19/14
2/26/ or until sold out
General Admission (Non-Member)
Judicial Ticket (Judges only)
To secure a sponsorship or individual ticket, please click on our annual dinner link:http://bit.ly/aabany25.
We look forward to seeing you at this momentous event.
AABANY thanks Dechert for hosting its Annual Meeting on January 28. Attendees got an overview of AABANY's activities in 2013 and an election was conducted. Congratulations to the new officers and directors who will be taking office on April 1, 2014. Congratulations also to the Young Lawyers' Committee, which received the Committee of the Year Award. For more details go to http://bit.ly/blog_anulmtg2014
The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) is pleased to announce a partnership with Prudential Financial, Inc. (Prudential) and Gibbons, P.C. (Gibbons) to provide a fellowship opportunity to a highly-motivated, third-year law school student. Through this partnership, NAPABA will select a third-year law school student to be the 2014 NAPABA-Prudential Law Fellow. The the deadline to apply for this fellowship is February 16, 2014.
To read more go to Napabapruflwshp. Learn about other Fellowship opportunities also listed on that page.
AABANY is nearing 1,000 paid members. Current Count is 849. At the AABANY Holiday Party on December 6 we kicked off our drive to 1,000 campaign and handed out postcards to make it easier for new or renewing members to let us know that they wish to join or renew. Look for these bright red postcards at upcoming AABANY events between now and the end of February. Our goal is to surpass 1,000 paid members by the time of our 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner on February 26, 2014.
If you belong to an AABANY Committee, be sure to let us know that your Committee referred you, because that Committee can get additional funds in their budget for each member they sign up.
In addition, all memberships received between now and February 25 will be included in a raffle for some great prizes. Check our website for details and updates.
Tell your friends! Renew or join today!
On Friday, January 31, AABANY received
the 2013 Bar Leaders Innovation Award during the New York State
Conference of Bar Leaders (NYSCBL) Annual Breakfast held at the New York
Hilton Midtown as part of the NYSBA Annual Meeting. The award was
presented to AABANY in recognition of its APA Heritage Month event
production "IVA: The Myth of Tokyo Rose, Allegiance on Trial.” The award
is presented "in recognition of local, minority, ethnic, specialty,
special purpose, and women’s bar associations in New York for
outstanding service to the public and the profession through innovative
projects and programs that serve to enhance public understanding of the
law, advance and promote the work of the legal profession, and support
the best interests of the public.”
AABANY is pleased to receive this award and thanks everyone who
helped to make it possible, including our partners in the production,
the Asian American Arts Alliance and the Asia Society.
|On Thursday, January 30, the AABANY Re-enactment Team performed "22 Lewd
Chinese Women: Chy Lung v. Freeman” at Cadwalader in New York City.
Because not all the cast members who were part of the original
production in Kansas City at the NAPABA National Convention were
available, we welcomed John Bajit, Yasu Saito, Janicelynn Asamoto and
the Hon. Kiyo Matsumoto to the New York staging. More than 250 people
registered to attend this event, which played to a full house. After the
performance, the audience engaged in a lively Q&A, followed by a
reception. Thanks to everyone who came out to see the re-enactment!|
|The National Asian Pacific Bar Association (NAPABA) celebrated its 25th
Annual Convention in Kansas City, MO, last November. The four-day
convention was themed Momentum to celebrate the continuing
growth and progress in the Asian Pacific American (APA) legal community,
and brought more than 1,200 attendees to the show-me state. Among
awards given out at the annual convention is the highly coveted NAPABA
Best Lawyers Under 40 (BU40) Award. MCCA’s bi-monthly publication, Diversity & the Bar,
profiled these award recipients, including AABANY members and leaders,
Mike Huang, Michael Park and Asim Rehman, in the January/February 2014
issue. Read more here.|
|The Second Circuit Judicial Council has announced vacancies for two (2) full-time U.S. Bankruptcy Judge positions in Manhattan. The court's public notice, which contains additional information about the position and the application, is available on the court's website at http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/. AABANY encourages all qualified attorneys with an interest in serving in the federal judiciary to submit an application, which is due no later than February 14, 2014. |
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2014 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
In this Issue:
- NAPABA Northeast Regional/AABANY 4th Annual Fall Conference
- Special Feature: AABANY in NY Law Journal
- President's Letter from Mike Huang
- AABANY Profile: Peter Kim
- Committee Profile: Real Estate Committee
- AABANY Feature: 2Q 2013 Review
- AABANY Feature: APA History Month
On WE Blog @ AABANY: Human Rights in the Philippines, Lunar New Year at Metropolitan Museum of Art
|Applications for the 2014 Michael Maggio Immigrants' Rights Summer Fellowship Program are due on February 17, 2014. All Fellowship announcements can now be found on AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships." To see current announcements for Fellowships go to bit.ly/aabany_fllwshps.|
Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 6: AABANY cosponsors: AREAA Lunar New Year Celebration, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM at Mudan Banquet Hall. For more information click here.
- Feb 7: DEADLINE for Early Bird tickets to the AABANY 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner.
- Feb 26: AABANY 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner, starting 6:00 PM, Cipriani Wall Street. For more information click here.
Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 3: MBBA IP & Technology Committee Mixer, Faces & Names Bar, 6:00pm - 8:00pm. For more information click here.
- Feb 5: The Metropolitan Black Bar Association Co-Presents "Unfinished Agenda: Urban Politics in the Era of Black Power” by Junius Williams- Book Reading and Reception, 6:30pm – 8:30pm, The New York City Bar Association. For more information click here.
- Feb 6: 2014 PALS Mentoring Reception, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Chadbourne & Parke LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb 7: Fashion Law 2014 Conference, 9:00am - 5:00pm, U.S. Dist. Ct., SDNY. For more information click here.
- Feb 10: Stop and Frisk in NY State, 6:00pm to 8:00pm, First A.M.E. Church: Bethel. For more information click here.
- Feb 11: Free lecture - The Grand Challenges of Implicit Social Cognition and the Law, 6:00pm - 8:00pm, NYU School of Law. For more information click here.
- Feb 13: MBBA co-presents "Paths to Leadership", 6:30pm – 8:30pm, Ropes and Gray LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb 14: 2014 Elder Law Update, 2:00pm - 5:00pm, Suffolk Academy of Law. For more information click here.
Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
- Verizon Legal Department Summer Intern Program
- Antitrust Attorneys needed, LG, Seoul, Korea
- Private Equity and Investment Funds Attorney, NYC and/or Boston
- Senior Legal Counsel, global private equity firm, NYC
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|