In this edition
- Annual Dinner: Regular Ticket Deadline is February 19
- Help AABANY Reach Goal of 1,000 Paid Members
- NAPABA-Prudential Fellowship Program: Deadline for Applications is Feb. 16
- AABANY Membership Happy Hour on Feb. 12
- AABANY Mentor-Mentee Happy Hour on Feb. 19
- AABANY Real Estate Committee and AREAA Lunar New Year Event
- AABANY Forms Tax Committee
- AABANY Co-Sponsors ABA International Section Spring Meeting April 1-5
- Applicants Sought for US Bankruptcy Judge Positions in Manhattan
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: MBBA 30th Anniversary Gala, Diversity Open House, Amended Pleadings ECF, Re-Envisioning Race
- Fellowship Announcements
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
It's time to lock in your sponsorship for AABANY's 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner!
This event is taking place on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at Cipriani Wall Street at 6:00 p.m.
Premier 25th Anniversary Level $20,000
Platinum Level $15,000
Gold Level $10,000
Silver Level $7,500
Sponsor Level $4000 (for firms of 25 persons or smaller)
Please see below a table of ticket prices for the Annual Dinner:
Regular Deadline 2/19/14
General Admission (Non-Member)
Judicial Ticket (Judges only)
Online sales close on February 21.
To secure a sponsorship or individual ticket, please click on our annual dinner link:http://bit.ly/aabany25.
We look forward to seeing you at this momentous event.
|AABANY is nearing 1,000 paid members. Current Count is 897. At the AABANY Holiday Party on December 6 we kicked off our drive to 1,000 campaign and handed out postcards to make it easier for new or renewing members to let us know that they wish to join or renew. Look for these bright red postcards at upcoming AABANY events between now and the end of February. Our goal is to surpass 1,000 paid members by the time of our 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner on February 26, 2014.|
If you belong to an AABANY Committee, be sure to let us know that your Committee referred you, because that Committee can get additional funds in their budget for each member they sign up.
In addition, all memberships received between now and February 25 will be included in a raffle for some great prizes. Check our website for details and updates.
Tell your friends! Renew or join today!
The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) is pleased to announce a partnership with Prudential Financial, Inc. (Prudential) and Gibbons, P.C. (Gibbons) to provide a fellowship opportunity to a highly-motivated, third-year law school student. Through this partnership, NAPABA will select a third-year law school student to be the 2014 NAPABA-Prudential Law Fellow. The the deadline to apply for this fellowship is February 16, 2014.
To read more go to Napabapruflwshp. Learn about other Fellowship opportunities also listed on that page.
Sick of being stuck inside because of the snow? Come out this Wednesday, February 12th from 6 – 8:30 pm to 121 Fulton Street (name and address of the bar) located in the Financial District! The Young Lawyers and Commercial Bankruptcy & Restructuring committees invite you to AABANY’s Membership Happy Hour. AABANY currently has 897 active members and we’re striving to reach 1,000 by the end of February so bring your colleagues and friends to the bar!For every member who brings a friend/colleague, the member and the plus one will each get a free drink (or two)! There will also be happy hour specials throughout the night!
AABANY will be holding a happy hour for its mentors and mentees on Wednesday, February 19th from 6:30 to 8:30pm at Paulaner Brauhaus located at 265 Bowery, NY 10002. It will be a good opportunity to catch up with your mentor or mentee and to meet fellow AABANY members. Please coordinate with your mentor or mentee as to whether he or she will be attending.
|On February 6, 2014, the AABANY Real Estate Committee co-partnered with AREAA-New York East Chapter to present a Lunar New Year/Year of the Horse Dinner. The Dinner took place at Mudan Banquet Hall in Flushing, New York and was attended by over 175 real estate attorneys, bankers, and realtors. AABANY was well represented by Francis Chin, a Director on AABANY’s Board and Chair of the Professional Development Committee, and Margaret Ling, Co-Chair of the AABANY Real Estate Committee. Margaret Ling was Mistress of Ceremonies and the celebration even included a Lion Dance by the Chinatown Community Young Lions. See great photos of this event here. |
AABANY is pleased to announce the creation of a Tax Committee, which is AABANY’s professional network for individuals interested in international, federal, state or local tax matters. The Tax Committee expects to organize networking, mentoring, professional development, continuing legal education, and public service opportunities for its members. The Tax Committee welcomes attorney and accountant members (in house, private practice or public service) as well as law students. If you are interested in joining the Tax Committee, please contact Committee Co-Chairs Sahang-Hee Hahn at email@example.com and Michael Kam at firstname.lastname@example.org. A festive first meeting of the Tax Committee members is tentatively scheduled for April 2014, and volunteers are needed to help plan for the event. An organizational meeting will be held in the next two weeks. If you are interested in participating, please let the Co-Chairs know so that you can be included.
|AABANY and the ABA Section of International Law invite you to attend the 2014 Spring Meeting from April 1-5, 2014 at the Waldorf Astoria New York. ABA International’s Spring Meeting is one of the world’s most important gatherings of international lawyers and we anticipate this year’s conference to break all attendance records with over 1,500 leading attorneys, corporate counsel, government officials, academics and NGO lawyers expected to attend. This conference will offer cutting edge programming on international legal and ethics issues, as well as amazing networking opportunities with colleagues, decision makers, and potential clients from around the world. In addition, the meeting will feature a complimentary day of programming for Corporate Counsel on April 2nd and evening receptions at some of the most exclusive venues in New York City. Read more here.|
|The Second Circuit Judicial Council has announced vacancies for two (2) full-time U.S. Bankruptcy Judge positions in Manhattan. The court's public notice, which contains additional information about the position and the application, is available on the court's website at http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/. AABANY encourages all qualified attorneys with an interest in serving in the federal judiciary to submit an application, which is due no later than February 14, 2014. |
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2014 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at email@example.com.
AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
In this Issue:
- NAPABA Northeast Regional/AABANY 4th Annual Fall Conference
- Special Feature: AABANY in NY Law Journal
- President's Letter from Mike Huang
- AABANY Profile: Peter Kim
- Committee Profile: Real Estate Committee
- AABANY Feature: 2Q 2013 Review
- AABANY Feature: APA History Month
On WE Blog @ AABANY: MBBA 30th Anniversary Gala, Diversity Open House, Amended Pleadings ECF, Re-Envisioning Race
|Applications for the 2014 Michael Maggio Immigrants' Rights Summer Fellowship Program are due on February 17, 2014. All Fellowship announcements can now be found on AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships." To see current announcements for Fellowships go to bit.ly/aabany_fllwshps.|
Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 12: AABANY Membership Happy Hour, 6:30pm – 8:30pm, 121 Fulton Street Bar. For more information click here.
- Feb 18: AABANY Board Meeting, 7:00pm - 9:00pm, Sidley Austin LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb 19: Corporate Law Committee Senior Lawyers Breakfast, 8:30am - 9:30am, Dechert LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb 19: AABANY Mentor-Mentee Happy Hour, 6:30 to 8:30pm, Paulaner Brauhaus. For more information click here.
- Feb 26: AABANY 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner, starting 6:00 PM, Cipriani Wall Street. For more information click here.
Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 10: Stop and Frisk in NY State, 6:00pm to 8:00pm, First A.M.E. Church: Bethel. For more information click here.
- Feb 11: Free lecture - The Grand Challenges of Implicit Social Cognition and the Law, 6:00pm - 8:00pm, NYU School of Law. For more information click here.
- Feb 13: MBBA co-presents "Paths to Leadership", 6:30pm – 8:30pm, Ropes and Gray LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb 14: 2014 Elder Law Update, 2:00pm - 5:00pm, Suffolk Academy of Law. For more information click here.
- Feb 21: Asian Jade Society Dinner, 6:30pm, Jing Fong Restaurant. For more information click here.
- Feb 22: MBBA Presents 2nd Annual Honorable Theodore J. Jones, Jr. Trial Workshop, 9:30am – 4:00pm, BakerHostetler. For more information click here.
- Feb 24: MBBA Co-Presents the 12th Annual Ida B. Wells-Barnett Justice Award Ceremony, 6:00pm – 8:30pm, New York County Lawyers’ Association. For more information click here.
- Feb 25: New York’s Unfinished Struggle for Racial Justice: Civil Rights in the 20th Century and Beyond, 6:30pm – 9:00pm, Museum of the City of New York. For more information click here.
- Feb 27: NYS Unified Court System Presents its Black History Month Celebration, 6:00pm, Supreme Court, Civil Branch, New York County. For more information click here.
- Feb 27: Legal Services NYC Annual Diversity Open House, 4:30pm - 7:30pm, Brooklyn Law School. For more information click here.
- Feb 28: APABAPA Lunar New Year Celebration,6:00pm, Ocean Harbor Restaurant, Philadelphia, PA. For more information click here.
Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
- Executive Agency Counsel, NYC Transit Authority
- Agency Attorney, NYC Transit Authority
- Senior Staff Attorney, Center for Reproductive Rights, NYC
- Verizon Legal Department Summer Intern Program
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|