AABANY Announcements February 17, 2014
In this edition
- Annual Dinner: Online Sales Close on February 21
- Press Release: AABANY to Honor Vernon Jordan with I4 Leadership Award
- Help AABANY Reach Goal of 1,000 Paid Members
- AABANY Mentor-Mentee Happy Hour on Feb. 19
- Helen Wan Featured in the Washington Post Magazine
- AABANY Co-Sponsors ABA International Section Spring Meeting April 1-5
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: Amended Civil Pleadings, Asian American Leaders, Labor Rights Forum, Is Empathy Enough?
- Fellowship Announcements
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
It's time to lock in your sponsorship for AABANY's 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner!
This event is taking place on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at Cipriani Wall Street at 6:00 p.m.
Premier 25th Anniversary Level $20,000
Platinum Level $15,000
Gold Level $10,000
Silver Level $7,500
Sponsor Level $4000 (for firms of 25 persons or smaller)
Please see below a table of ticket prices for the Annual Dinner:
Regular Deadline 2/19/14
General Admission (Non-Member)
Judicial Ticket (Judges only)
Online sales close on February 21.
To secure a sponsorship or individual ticket, please click on our annual dinner link:http://bit.ly/aabany25.
We look forward to seeing you at this momentous event.
|On Wednesday, February 26, 2014, the Asian American Bar Association of New York ("AABANY”) will hold its 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner at Cipriani Wall Street. Attendees of the 2014 AABANY Annual Dinner will include prominent federal and state judges, elected officials and dignitaries, attorneys from large and small law firms, corporate law departments, prosecutors’ offices and government agencies. AABANY’s 2013 Annual Dinner attracted more than 750 members of the legal and business communities from New York and beyond. Read more at http://bit.ly/blog_vrnjdn.|
|AABANY is nearing 1,000 paid members. Current Count is 955. At the AABANY Holiday Party on December 6 we kicked off our drive to 1,000 campaign and handed out postcards to make it easier for new or renewing members to let us know that they wish to join or renew. Look for these bright red postcards at upcoming AABANY events between now and the end of February. Our goal is to surpass 1,000 paid members by the time of our 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner on February 26, 2014.|
If you belong to an AABANY Committee, be sure to let us know that your Committee referred you, because that Committee can get additional funds in their budget for each member they sign up.
In addition, all memberships received between now and February 25 will be included in a raffle for some great prizes. Check our website for details and updates.
Tell your friends! Renew or join today!
AABANY will be holding a happy hour for its mentors and mentees on Wednesday, February 19th from 6:00 to 8:00pm at Paulaner Brauhaus located at 265 Bowery, NY 10002. It will be a good opportunity to catch up with your mentor or mentee and to meet fellow AABANY members. Please coordinate with your mentor or mentee as to whether he or she will be attending.
|Helen Wan, AABANY member and author of the novel The Partner Track, has been featured in a Washington Post magazine profile published on February 13. Congratulations to Helen! To read the article, go to http://bit.ly/helenwanwashpst.|
|AABANY and the ABA Section of International Law invite you to attend the 2014 Spring Meeting from April 1-5, 2014 at the Waldorf Astoria New York. ABA International’s Spring Meeting is one of the world’s most important gatherings of international lawyers and we anticipate this year’s conference to break all attendance records with over 1,500 leading attorneys, corporate counsel, government officials, academics and NGO lawyers expected to attend. This conference will offer cutting edge programming on international legal and ethics issues, as well as amazing networking opportunities with colleagues, decision makers, and potential clients from around the world. In addition, the meeting will feature a complimentary day of programming for Corporate Counsel on April 2nd and evening receptions at some of the most exclusive venues in New York City. The Early Bird registration deadline is Monday, February 24th and members of AABANY are entitled to register at discounted ABA member prices by submitting a hard copy form, downloadable here. Read more here.|
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2014 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at email@example.com.
AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
In this Issue:
- NAPABA Northeast Regional/AABANY 4th Annual Fall Conference
- Special Feature: AABANY in NY Law Journal
- President's Letter from Mike Huang
- AABANY Profile: Peter Kim
- Committee Profile: Real Estate Committee
- AABANY Feature: 2Q 2013 Review
- AABANY Feature: APA History Month
|Applications for the 2014 Michael Maggio Immigrants' Rights Summer Fellowship Program are due on February 17, 2014. All Fellowship announcements can now be found on AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships." To see current announcements for Fellowships go to bit.ly/aabany_fllwshps.|
Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 18: AABANY Board Meeting, 7:00pm - 9:00pm, Sidley Austin LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb. 18: Lantern Festival Celebration with APC & ICMA, 7:00pm - 9:00pm, The Tuscany Bar at St. Giles Hotel. For more information click here.
- Feb 19: Labor & Employment Law Committee Meeting, 6:30pm, Outten & Golden LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb 19: Corporate Law Committee Senior Lawyers Breakfast, 8:30am - 9:30am, Dechert LLP. For more information click here.
- Feb 19: AABANY Mentor-Mentee Happy Hour, 6:00 to 8:00pm, Paulaner Brauhaus. For more information click here.
- Feb 26: AABANY 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner, starting 6:00 PM, Cipriani Wall Street. For more information click here.
- Apr. 1-5: ABA Spring Meeting, Waldorf Astoria New York. The Early Bird registration deadline is Monday, February 24th and members of AABANY are entitled to register at discounted ABA member prices by submitting a hard copy form, downloadable here. For more information click here.
Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 21: Asian Jade Society Dinner, 6:30pm, Jing Fong Restaurant. For more information click here.
- Feb 22: MBBA Presents 2nd Annual Honorable Theodore J. Jones, Jr. Trial Workshop, 9:30am – 4:00pm, BakerHostetler. For more information click here.
- Feb 24: MBBA Co-Presents the 12th Annual Ida B. Wells-Barnett Justice Award Ceremony, 6:00pm – 8:30pm, New York County Lawyers’ Association. For more information click here.
- Feb 25: New York’s Unfinished Struggle for Racial Justice: Civil Rights in the 20th Century and Beyond, 6:30pm – 9:00pm, Museum of the City of New York. For more information click here.
- Feb 27: NYS Unified Court System Presents its Black History Month Celebration, 6:00pm, Supreme Court, Civil Branch, New York County. For more information click here.
- Feb 27: Legal Services NYC Annual Diversity Open House, 4:30pm - 7:30pm, Brooklyn Law School. For more information click here.
- Feb 27: PALS Presents: Lawyers and Media, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Debevoise & Plimpton. For more information click here.
- Feb 28: APABAPA Lunar New Year Celebration, 6:00pm, Ocean Harbor Restaurant, Philadelphia, PA. For more information click here.
Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
- Global Finance Associate, Nixon Peabody, LLP, NYC
- Associate Counsel, NYS Senate Democratic Conference, NYC
- Volunteer Student Internship, Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, NYC
- Staff Attorney, Advocates for Children of New York, Inc.
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|