In this edition
- Press Release: AABANY to Honor Vernon Jordan and Other Honorees at 25th Annual Dinner
- AABANY Board Call for Nominations
- JP Morgan Chase Networking Reception for APA Lawyers
- Columbia APALSA Conference
- NAPABA Condemns Arizona Legislation
- AABANY Co-Sponsors ABA International Section Spring Meeting April 1-5
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: Labor Rights Forum, Is Empathy Enough?, Career Paths of US Attorneys
- Fellowship Announcements
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
At its 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner at Cipriani Wall Street on February 26, the Asian American Bar Association of New York ("AABANY") will be honoring civil rights leader and icon Vernon E. Jordan, Jr., Randal S. Milch, Executive Vice President, Public Policy, and General Counsel of Verizon Communications Inc., and The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), a national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans . Click here to read more.
Photo credit: Veni Markovski
The amendment to AABANY’s By-Laws approved at our 2014 Annual Meeting increased the number of Directors by two thereby creating two new Director vacancies that the Board intends to fill at its March 18, 2014 Board Meeting. The Nominations Committee welcomes and will accept applications to fill these vacancies immediately, and will select a slate of candidates to be recommended for the Board’s consideration at its March 18, 2014meeting.
If you wish to run for any of the above vacancies, read the blog post for the requirements at http://bit.ly/aabanynoms.
Deadline for submissions is March 13, 2014.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. Legal Department is hosting a networking reception on April 7, 2014 at 6:00PM for APA attorneys that are potentially interested in joining their Legal Department.
If you are interested in attending and meet the criteria, please submit your resume along with a brief bio (no more than 3-4 sentences long) of yourself, expertise and/or interest, in confidence, by email to email@example.com with subject line "JPMC” by no later than March 7, 2014. If your resume is selected, you will be receiving an invitation to the event on or about March 17 directly from JPMorgan Chase & Co. For full details and requirements, read the blog post at http://bit.ly/JPMorgntwkrcp.
The Columbia Asian Pacific America Law Students Association invites you to attend their third annual conference: On the Shoulders of Giants: New Horizons for Asian Americans in Law and Politics. The conference will be held on Saturday, March 8 starting at 1pm. Attend one of three panels on Immigration Reform, Minority Identity, and Professional Development or attend dinner with keynote speaker former NYC Comptroller John Liu. Among the speakers at the conference will be AABANY President Mike Huang, President-Elect Clara Ohr and Board Member Karen Lim, who will be joining Helen Wan (author,The Partner Track) and Vivia Chen (blogger, The Careerist) on a panel entitled "Navigating the Career Ladder: Professional Development Strategies for Asian American Attorneys.”
CLE credit will be offered. Tickets are available on our website at http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/apalsaconference/.
The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) strongly urges Arizona Governor Jan Brewer to veto legislation passed by the Arizona state legislature last Thursday that, under the guise of religious freedom, would enable discrimination against individuals who identify as LGBT.
"NAPABA has a long-standing commitment to supporting the civil rights of all members of our community, including our LGBT brothers and sisters," said William J. Simonitsch, president of NAPABA. "While NAPABA respects the sincerely held religious beliefs of all people, religion has unfortunately been misused by some historically as an excuse to oppress people of color and people of other religions. For many it justified slavery, segregation, and the criminalizing of interracial marriages. The employment of a religious justification to now excuse the discrimination of LGBT people is just as reprehensible." Read the full blog post at http://bit.ly/npbalgltn.
|AABANY and the ABA Section of International Law invite you to attend the 2014 Spring Meeting from April 1-5, 2014 at the Waldorf Astoria New York. ABA International’s Spring Meeting is one of the world’s most important gatherings of international lawyers and we anticipate this year’s conference to break all attendance records with over 1,500 leading attorneys, corporate counsel, government officials, academics and NGO lawyers expected to attend. This conference will offer cutting edge programming on international legal and ethics issues, as well as amazing networking opportunities with colleagues, decision makers, and potential clients from around the world. In addition, the meeting will feature a complimentary day of programming for Corporate Counsel on April 2nd and evening receptions at some of the most exclusive venues in New York City. AABANY members are entitled to register at discounted ABA member prices by submitting a hard copy form, downloadable here. Read more here.|
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2014 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
In this Issue:
- NAPABA Northeast Regional/AABANY 4th Annual Fall Conference
- Special Feature: AABANY in NY Law Journal
- President's Letter from Mike Huang
- AABANY Profile: Peter Kim
- Committee Profile: Real Estate Committee
- AABANY Feature: 2Q 2013 Review
- AABANY Feature: APA History Month
|All Fellowship announcements can now be found on AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships." To see current announcements for Fellowships go to bit.ly/aabany_fllwshps.|
Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 26: AABANY 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner, starting 6:00 PM, Cipriani Wall Street. For more information click here.
- Mar. 1: Chinatown Pro Bono Immigration Legal Clinic, 9:00am - 4:00pm, Bowery Mission. For more information click here.
- Apr. 1-5: ABA Spring Meeting, Waldorf Astoria New York. Members of AABANY are entitled to register at discounted ABA member prices by submitting a hard copy form, downloadable here. For more information click here.
Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Feb 27: NYS Unified Court System Presents its Black History Month Celebration, 6:00pm, Supreme Court, Civil Branch, New York County. For more information click here.
- Feb 27: Legal Services NYC Annual Diversity Open House, 4:30pm - 7:30pm, Brooklyn Law School. For more information click here.
- Feb 27: PALS Presents: Lawyers and Media, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Debevoise & Plimpton. For more information click here.
- Feb 28: APABAPA Lunar New Year Celebration, 6:00pm, Ocean Harbor Restaurant, Philadelphia, PA. For more information click here.
Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
- Labor & Employment Associate, Nixon & Peabody, LLP, Jericho, NY
- Compliance Manager - Compliance Analytics, Newark, NJ, Prudential
- Manager, Compliance Analytics, Newark, NJ, Prudential
- Investments Compliance Manager, Newark, NJ, Prudential
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|