In this edition
- Thanks for Attending AABANY's 25th Anniversary Annual Dinner
- AABANY Board Call for Nominations
- JP Morgan Chase Networking Reception for APA Lawyers
- AALDEF and Cardozo APALSA Present "Linsanity"
- Columbia APALSA Conference
- Second Circuit Pro Bono Panel Accepting Applications
- NAPABA Supports Governor Brewer's Veto
- AABANY Co-Sponsors ABA International Section Spring Meeting April 1-5
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- On WE Blog @ AABANY: APABA-PA Lunar New Year Banquet, HNBA Press Release on SB 1062, Immigrants' Day of Action, Women's History Month at MMA
- Fellowship Announcements
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
Thanks to everyone who came out on February 26, 2014, to celebrate AABANY’s 25th anniversary with us at Cipriani Wall Street. More than 850 guests registered to attend, setting a new record. AABANY also reached its goal of exceeding 1,000 paid members. Mike Huang, in his Outgoing President’s speech, publicly announced the Don Liu Scholarship to award $15,000 to APA law students who apply and meet the requirements. Significant pledges have already been rolling in.
|Congratulations to our 2014 honorees: AALDEF, recipient of the Public Advocacy Award; Randal Milch, GC of Verizon, recipient of the Corporate Counsel Leadership Award; and Vernon Jordan, recipient of the I4 (Icon, Ideals, Impact, Inspiration) Leadership Award. Congratulations also to Julie Kwon, our Mentor-Mentee Program Coordinator, for winning the AABANY MVP Award.|
AABANY was joined by about 30 past honorees from past annual dinners. Each was brought up to the stage during the dinner for special recognition.
MSNBC reporter Richard Lui once again expertly took us through the proceedings as MC.
Guests continued to celebrate upstairs in the mezzanine during the after-party, with open bar and live DJ.
Happy 25th anniversary, AABANY, and we are looking forward to 2014 and the next quarter century!
The amendment to AABANY’s By-Laws approved at our 2014 Annual Meeting increased the number of Directors by two thereby creating two new Director vacancies that the Board intends to fill at its March 18, 2014 Board Meeting. The Nominations Committee welcomes and will accept applications to fill these vacancies immediately, and will select a slate of candidates to be recommended for the Board’s consideration at its March 18, 2014meeting.
If you wish to run for any of the above vacancies, read the blog post for the requirements at http://bit.ly/aabanynoms.
Deadline for submissions is March 13, 2014.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. Legal Department is hosting a networking reception on April 7, 2014 at 6:00PM for APA attorneys that are potentially interested in joining their Legal Department.
If you are interested in attending and meet the criteria, please submit your resume along with a brief bio (no more than 3-4 sentences long) of yourself, expertise and/or interest, in confidence, by email to email@example.com with subject line "JPMC” by no later than March 7, 2014. If your resume is selected, you will be receiving an invitation to the event on or about March 17 directly from JPMorgan Chase & Co. For full details and requirements, read the blog post at http://bit.ly/JPMorgntwkrcp.
| AALDEF YPC and Cardozo APALSA present: "The documentary that began filming long before Linsanity became a pop culture reference. American’s favorite unlikely sports hero.” Please support this AALDEF 40th Anniversary presentation of the award-winning film LINSANITY followed by a special panel discussion with director Evan Jackson Leong and AALDEF Staff Attorney Thomas Mariadason. Donations to benefit AALDEF’s Educational Equity Program. Post-screening party with happy hour specials at Le Midi Bar & Restaurant, 11 East 13th Street (btw 5th Ave. and University Place). To read more about the event go to http://bit.ly/aaldefcdzlinsanity.|
The Columbia Asian Pacific America Law Students Association invites you to attend their third annual conference: On the Shoulders of Giants: New Horizons for Asian Americans in Law and Politics. The conference will be held on Saturday, March 8 starting at 1pm. Attend one of three panels on Immigration Reform, Minority Identity, and Professional Development or attend dinner with keynote speaker former NYC Comptroller John Liu. Among the speakers at the conference will be AABANY President Mike Huang, President-Elect Clara Ohr and Board Member Karen Lim, who will be joining Helen Wan (author,The Partner Track) and Vivia Chen (blogger, The Careerist) on a panel entitled "Navigating the Career Ladder: Professional Development Strategies for Asian American Attorneys.”
CLE credit will be offered. Tickets are available on our website at http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/apalsaconference/.
The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has issued a press release calling for applicants for its pro bono panel:
The Criminal Justice Act/Pro Bono Committee is accepting applications for the Second Circuit’s Pro Bono Panel. The deadline is Friday, May 2, 2014.
Pro Bono Panel members will, at the Court’s invitation or on an appellant’s motion for appointment of counsel, represent pro se litigants in civil appeals that present issues of first impression,complex issues of law or fact, or raise potentially meritorious claims warranting further briefing and oral argument. Pro bono representation will be provided to litigants who would otherwise be unable to pay for counsel and are ineligible for the appointment of counsel pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act.
To read the full text of the press release go to http://bit.ly/scdcrctprobonoapps.
On February 26, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer vetoed SB 1062, legislation that would have enabled businesses to disregard municipal ordinances under the banner of religious freedom, and allowed them to discriminate against individuals who identify as LGBT.
Read the full blog post at http://bit.ly/NAPABAbwrveto.
|AABANY and the ABA Section of International Law invite you to attend the 2014 Spring Meeting from April 1-5, 2014 at the Waldorf Astoria New York. ABA International’s Spring Meeting is one of the world’s most important gatherings of international lawyers and we anticipate this year’s conference to break all attendance records with over 1,500 leading attorneys, corporate counsel, government officials, academics and NGO lawyers expected to attend. This conference will offer cutting edge programming on international legal and ethics issues, as well as amazing networking opportunities with colleagues, decision makers, and potential clients from around the world. In addition, the meeting will feature a complimentary day of programming for Corporate Counsel on April 2nd and evening receptions at some of the most exclusive venues in New York City. AABANY members are entitled to register at discounted ABA member prices by submitting a hard copy form, downloadable here. Read more here.|
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2014 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
In this Issue:
- Margaret Fung: Activist to Executive Director
- Outgoing President’s Letter
- Incoming President’s Letter
- Enhance Your Practice by "Word-of-Mouse” Referral
- Long, Winding Road to Immigration Reform in 2013
- Labor and Employment Law Committee Planning Active Inaugural Year
- Real Estate Committee: Fall & Winter Update
|All Fellowship announcements can now be found on AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships." To see current announcements for Fellowships go to bit.ly/aabany_fllwshps.|
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
- Mar. 4: AALDEF Young Professional Committee & Cardozo APALSA Presents: LINSANITY Screening & FIlmmaker Q&A, 6:00pm-8:00pm, Cardozo Law School. For more information click here.
- Mar. 4: The Association of Latin American Law Students Presents: Lawyers of Color, 6:30pm, Rutgers School of Law-Newark. For more information click here.
- Mar. 6: NYS Attorney General's Office presents a Labor Rights Forum, 6:30pm, Gregorio Luperon High School. For more information click here.
- Mar. 8: Columbia APALSA Third Annual Conference, Columbia Law School. For more information click here.
- Mar. 11: Law & Reorder: What General Counsel Want, 12:15pm - 2:00pm, Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP. For more information click here.
- Mar. 12: Blowing the Whistle: Perspectives from Both Sides, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, NYCLA. For more information click here.
- Mar. 13: Justice is a Black Woman - Film Screening and Discussion, 6:00pm - 8:30pm, New York Law School. For more information click here.
- Mar. 14: Cardozo Law Presents: Monetizing IP Assets, 6:00pm - 8:30pm, Cardozo School of Law. For more information click here.
- Director of Intake Services, Legal Services NYC (LSNYC), NYC
- Labor & Employment Associate, Nixon & Peabody, LLP, Jericho, NY
- Compliance Manager - Compliance Analytics, Newark, NJ, Prudential
- Manager, Compliance Analytics, Newark, NJ, Prudential
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|