In this edition
- Summer Reception at Kenyon & Kenyon LLP, July 1
- Press Release: Asian American Bar Association of New York & Legal Services NYC Launch Pilot Program to Increase Free Legal Services to Low-Income Asian Americans
- Emerging Trends in Fraud and Forensics CLE on June 24
- Reduced Price Tickets Available for APALA-NJ Gala, June 26
- Glenn Lau-Kee's Installation as New York State Bar President
- Vince Chang, Ken Chin and Gilbert Liu Honored at 50 Outstanding Asian Americans in Business Gala
- Military & Veterans Affairs Kickoff Committee Meeting, June 26
- Women's Committee Kickoff & Welcome Dinner, June 26
- Highlights from June 12 and the Week of June 16
- MinKwon Center's Pro Bono DACA Renewal Clinics
- New York City Bar: Discounted Memberships for AABANY Members
- New York City Bar: Committee Applications Being Accepted
- NAPABA Board Elections: Call for Nominations, July 14
- Convergence: NAPABA Convention 2014
- Registration Open: 8th Annual National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read the New Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- This Week on WE Blog @AABANY
- Fellowship Announcements
- Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
|Please join AABANY for its annual Summer Reception on July 1, 6pm-7pm, hosted at Kenyon & Kenyon LLP (One Broadway). The Summer Reception is open to all and is a wonderful opportunity to meet the Board of Directors and other members. |
Members and non-members alike are invited to enjoy the wonderful view accompanied by food, wine, and refreshments. Members are also welcome to stay for the board meeting immediately following the reception. Please register by June 27.
Thank you to John Flock and Kenyon & Kenyon LLP for graciously hosting AABANY for yet another year.
|June 19, 2014, New York, NY— The Asian American Bar Association of New York (AABANY) is partnering with Legal Services NYC (LSNYC) to expand pro bono legal services to low-income Asian Americans in NYC. The collaboration will begin with a pilot program offering AABANY members a CLE training on immigration remedies available to victims of domestic violence. Training participants will represent clients pro bono to obtain U Nonimmigrant Status, commonly known as “U-Visas.” U-Visas are available to crime victims who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse and have cooperated with law enforcement. Pro bono attorneys will prepare U-Visas for LSNYC clients under the supervision of LSNYC attorneys. The first training will take place on June 25, 2014. To read the full press release, click here.|
Register for this exciting new program in partnership with LSNYC! The first training is already underway. Please fill out the survey here: http://bit.ly/gspi_irdvv
CLE: Providing Immigration Remedies for Domestic Violence Survivors
Date/Time: Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 7-9pm
Location: Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP (1177 Avenue of Americas)
For any questions, please contact Katrina Goyco at firstname.lastname@example.org or Karen Kithan Yau at email@example.com.
|AABANY's Real Estate Committee and Solo & Small Firm Practice Committee are organizing a great opportunity to network and earn CLE credit that can be applied towards the Ethics requirement! Please join us on June 24, 5:30pm-8pm, for "Emerging Trends in Fraud and Forensics" CLE, at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP, 1 Penn Plaza, Suite 3000 Conference Room, New York, NY 10019. |
5:30pm Registration, Networking, & Refreshments
6:30pm CLE begins
Brian P. Sanvidge, CIG, CFE, Director of Business Fraud and Investigations at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause LLP
Edward Farrell, Esq., Partner at Tarter, Krinsky & Drogin, LLP
Thank you to Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP and the Great American Title Agency for co-hosting. Attendance is free for AABANY members and those not seeking CLE credit. To register, please click here.
AABANY is making available a limited number of reduced price tickets for the Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey's 17th Annual Awards Gala & Installation of Officers on June 26. The gala will be hosted at the Liberty House Restaurant, 76 Audrey Zapp Drive, Jersey City, NJ at 6:30pm. Richard Lui, Journalist/News Anchor, MSNBC & NBC News will be the keynote speaker.
The AABANY discounted price is $100; regular price $225. Those interested in attending at this reduced rate should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Glenn Lau Kee's Installation as New York State Bar President|
On Saturday, June 21, at the New York State Bar Association House of Delegates Meeting in Cooperstown, Glenn Lau Kee was sworn in by Hon. Victoria Graffeo, Court of Appeals, as NYSBA’s 117th President and its first Asian American President. Also at this historic occasion were fellow Delegates (from left to right) Chanwoo Lee, Vince Chang, Hon. Doris Ling-Cohan and Gordon Eng. (Thanks to Judge Ling-Cohan for the photo.)
AABANY will join NYCLA in holding a reception to celebrate Glenn Lau Kee’s installation as NYSBA President. The event will take place at NYCLA, 14 Vesey Street, on July 16. Register now at http://bit.ly/glkreception0716.
|On June 19, the Asian American Business Development Center held its Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business 2014 Dinner at Cipriani Wall Street. Among those recognized as the Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business 2014 were the following AABANY members: Vincent Chang (Partner, Wollmuth Maher & Deutsch and former AABANY President), Ken Chin (Partner, Kramer Levin) and Gilbert Liu (Partner, Kramer Levin and past NAPABA Best Under 40 Award recipient). Please join us in congratulating Vince, Ken and Gilbert on this well-deserved recognition for their achievements and contributions in the business world.|
|The Military and Veterans Affairs Committee will have its first meeting on Thursday, June 26th. We welcome anyone (including non-members of AABANY) interested in learning more about the committee. We will be discussing our goals for the year and will start planning our first events. If you are a veteran or are interested in supporting veterans, please join us.|
Date: Thursday, June 26th
Location: BakerHostetler LLP
45 Rockefeller Plaza (5th Avenue between 50th and 51st Street)
Food will be served. Please RSVP by Wednesday June 25th.
|Come meet and mingle with fellow AABANY Women’s Committee members over a family-style dinner at Congee Village on Allen Street. Find out what's in the works for 2014, get involved in planning, and chow down with friends!|
Women's Committee Kick-Off Meeting & Welcome Dinner
Date: Thursday, June 26
Time: 6:30-8:30 PM
Location: Congee Village, 100 Allen Street (at Delancey)
For more information, contact the AABANY Women's Committee Co-chairs: Marianne Chow (email@example.com); Sapna Palla (firstname.lastname@example.org); or Naf Kwun (email@example.com).
Registration is closed. However, those interested in attending should contact the co-chairs directly in order to be placed on the wait-list.
|Help protect undocumented youth from deportation by renewing their DACA status. Pro bono attorneys and volunteer law students conduct intake, legal screenings for relief eligibility, and help undocumented individuals maintain their employment authorization and “deferred action” status. No prior experience necessary, training will be provided. Clinic dates are on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the summer. CLE credits will be provided. |
Click here to see all the dates and sign up for a volunteer shift.
The New York City Bar Association, founded in 1870 in response to public concern over the New York City justice system, is a voluntary association of students and legal professionals that has grown to a membership of over 24,000. Benefits of membership include over 150 committees working to improve and reform the practice and administration of law, a members-only library that happens to be the largest member-funded in the country, and not to mention the unparalleled professional opportunities. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Read more about membership benefits here.
The New York City Bar Association has prepared a special discount for AABANY members, waiving the one-time admission fee and giving members 20% off their semi-annual membership dues payment.
PROMO CODE: AABANY14
Go to https://www.nycbar.org/cgi-bin/special_offer_aaba.pl
|New York City Bar: Committee Applications Being Accepted|
|It’s not too late to become a Committee member at the New York City Bar Association, which means that it’s not too late to become involved in over 150 areas of law within a membership body of over 24,000 students and legal professionals! NYCBA is still accepting applications for committee member positions, and though some deadlines have passed, others are ready and willing for someone to take strong hold of the leadership opportunities.|
NYCBA has reached out and noted that AABANY members are strongly encouraged to apply. The sooner, the better. Let’s get the ball rolling.
If you are interested contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
|NAPABA Board Elections: Call for Nominations, July 14|
|The NAPABA Nominating and Elections Committee is accepting nominations for election to the officer positions of NAPABA for the 2014-2015 term. NAPABA is a nonprofit, voluntary, professional organization founded in 1989, representing the interests of over 40,000 APA lawyers, law students, and judges throughout North America and abroad.|
The qualifications for NAPABA office are listed in the NAPABA Nominating and Election Rules. In order to be nominated as a candidate for a NAPABA officer position, candidates are required to submit a completed nomination petition form and a personal statement on or before July 14, 2014.
Click here for the nomination petition form or more information on the election guidelines.
Don’t miss out on the 2014 Annual NAPABA Convention! There are many ways to get involved starting now. You can:
For more information on the Convention, including how to make your room reservation at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, click here.
NCVAA has been the largest law conference in the United States for Vietnamese American attorneys and law students since 2006. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to network with nationally renowned Judges and Law Professors, as well as top attorneys and legal leaders, from all across the country. Read More.
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2014 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at email@example.com.
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
In this Issue:
- Jimmy Yan: Working in the Public Interest
- Sponsor Spotlight: BakerHostetler
- Incoming President's Letter
- "22 Lewd Chinese Women” and Other Courtroom Dramas
- New Military and Veterans Affairs Committee
- New Tax Committee
- Successful March to 1,000 Membership Campaign
- First Quarter Rundown and 25th Annual Dinner
| The Legal Department of the Service Employees International Union has an immediate opening for a Home Care Law Fellow. All Fellowship announcements can now be found on AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships." To see current announcements for Fellowships go to http://bit.ly/aabany_flwshps.|
Do you have some time to volunteer to assist self-represented litigants in New York's courts? Many opportunities exist through several Volunteer Attorney Programs to get trained to provide legal advice and assistance to pro se clients in housing, family law, consumer debt and foreclosure cases. Please visit the Court Sponsored Volunteer Attorney Program’s website to learn how you can help.
- June 24: Emerging Trends in Fraud & Forensics CLE, 6pm-8pm, Baker Tilly. For more information, click here.
- June 25: Providing Immigration Remedies for Domestic Violence Survivors CLE, 7pm-9pm, Kramer Levin. For more information, click here.
- June 26: Women's Committee Kickoff & Welcome Dinner, 6:30pm-8:30pm, Congee Village. For more information, click here.
- June 26: Military & Veterans Affairs, 7pm-8:30pm, Baker Hostetler. For more information, click here.
- July 1: Summer Reception, 6pm-7pm, Kenyon & Kenyon LLP. For more information, click here.
- July 1: Board Meeting, 7pm-9pm, Kenyon & Kenyon LLP. For more information, click here.
- June 23: AALDEF Summer Cocktail Party, 6pm-9pm, Hudson Terrace. For more information, click here.
- June 25: "Lighting the Path Toward Justice" Talk Back & Panel Discussion, 12pm-3pm, Sullivan & Cromwell. For more information, click here.
- June 26: Why Antitrust?, 9am-10:30am, Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP. For more information, click here.
- June 26: APALA-NJ's 17th Annual Gala, 6:30pm-9:30pm, The Liberty House Restaurant. For more information, click here.
- June 27: 8th Annual National Convention of Vietnamese American Attorneys, Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. For more information, click here.
- Compliance Director, Prudential, New York, NJ.
- Vice President, Corporate Counsel, Prudential, Shelton, CN.
- IP Attorney, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, Hsinchu, Taiwan.
- Junior Attorney, Ofsink LLC, New York, NY.
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|