AABANY Announcements December 8, 2014
In this edition
- AABANY Holiday Party, Dec. 10
- Asian-Americans & the Law: New York Pioneers in the Judiciary, Dec. 15
- Tax Committee Planning Meeting, Dec. 18
- Highlights from Sept. 24 and Dec. 3
- FALANY's Second Pasko Dinner, Dec. 15
- New York City Bar: Discounted Memberships for AABANY Members
- New York City Bar: Committee Applications Being Accepted
- Summer 2015 NAPABA Law Foundation Public Interest Internship Grant, Deadline Dec. 10
- AABANY Seeks Legal Interns
- AABANY Law Review Special Edition: Own Your Copy Now
- Read The Current Issue of The AABANY Advocate
- This Week on WE Blog @AABANY
- Fellowship Announcements
- Upcoming Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Other Events on the AABANY Calendar
- Recent Job Postings on the AABANY Career Center
Please join us at Smithfield NYC (138 W. 25th Street) for AABANY's Annual Holiday Party on December 10, 6:30pm! Our Annual Holiday Party is open to members and friends. We will provide food, so please register so that we can get an accurate estimate of how much food to order.
Click here to register. We'll see you at Smithfield!
When: Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 • 6:30-8:00 pm
Where: New York City Bar Association (42 West 44th Street, NYC)
The Historical Society of the New York Courts presents The Stephen R. Kaye Memorial Program 2014, Asian-Americans & the Law: New York Pioneers in the Judiciary.
The program includes welcome and introductions from Hon. Judith S. Kaye, Former NYS Chief Judge and Hon. Jonathan Lippman, NYS Chief Judge. Presenting the slideshow presentation, A Historical Overview of Asian-American Legal History is Hon. Denny Chin, (U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit) and Kathy Hirata Chin (Partner, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP).
The conversation New York Pioneers in the Judiciary includes: Hon. Randall T. Eng (Presiding Justice, NYS Supreme Court, Appellate Division, 2nd Dept.), Hon. Peter Tom (Justice, NYS Supreme Court, Appellate Division, 1st Dept.), Hon. Dorothy Chin-Brandt (NYS Supreme Court, Queens County Criminal Court), with Hon. Denny Chin moderating.
2.0 CLE credits are available. Click here to register.
(Photo credit: Dorothea Lange, as used in Judge Chin's slideshow presentation)
When: Dec. 18, 6pm-7:30pm
Where: Linklaters LLP, 1345 Ave of the Americas #21
Please note that AABANY’s Tax Committee will have its next planning meeting on Thursday, December 18, 2014, at 6 pm, at the offices of Linklaters LLP (1345 Ave of the Americas #21, New York, NY 10105). This is our final meeting for the 2014 year. Please join us if you can!
Click here to register.
We hope all of you are well and enjoying the spirit of the season. FALANY's Steering Committee is pleased to confirm that Pasko Dinner will be held at Maharlika.
When: December 15, 2014 (Monday)
7:00 PM Cocktail Hour
8:00 PM Dinner
111 First Ave (btwn 6th and 7th Street)
Ticket price: $70.00 per person (includes $20.00 charitable donation)
Click here to RSVP.
To see the menu, click here.
The New York City Bar Association, founded in 1870 in response to public concern over the New York City justice system, is a voluntary association of students and legal professionals that has grown to a membership of over 24,000. Benefits of membership include over 150 committees working to improve and reform the practice and administration of law, a members-only library that happens to be the largest member-funded in the country, and not to mention the unparalleled professional opportunities. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Read more about membership benefits here.
The New York City Bar Association has prepared a special discount for AABANY members, waiving the one-time admission fee and giving members 20% off their semi-annual membership dues payment.
PROMO CODE: AABANY14
Go to https://www.nycbar.org/cgi-bin/special_offer_aaba.pl
It’s not too late to become a Committee member at the New York City Bar Association, which means that it’s not too late to become involved in over 150 areas of law within a membership body of over 24,000 students and legal professionals! NYCBA is still accepting applications for committee member positions, and though some deadlines have passed, others are ready and willing for someone to take strong hold of the leadership opportunities.
NYCBA has reached out and noted that AABANY members are strongly encouraged to apply. The sooner, the better. Let’s get the ball rolling.
If you are interested contact email@example.com. Thank you!
Goal: The NLF Public Interest Internship will provide support for one law student to experience a meaningful 2015 summer internship at a public interest organization that provides either direct legal services, impact litigation, or advocacy on behalf of the Asian Pacific American (APA) community.
- Public interest organizations will provide NLF with a legal intern summer project proposal.
- NLF will select a host organization from these submissions. Host organization awardee is permitted and encouraged to advertise the internship opportunity in its recruitment.
- In March, the selected host organization will provide a list of summer legal interns (hired or tentative) for consideration of the award, along with their resumes and any additional supplemental materials for consideration.
- NLF will conduct telephonic interviews with the submitted summer legal intern(s). NLF at its option may select to narrow the pool of eligible summer legal interns to interview. The recipient of the award will be decided by the interviews, resume, supporting materials, and input from the host organization.
- A grant of $6,000 will be provided to the host organization. 100% of this grant must be used for the legal intern’s salary. The host organization is responsible for any administrative fees, payroll processing fees, federal withholding, taxes, etc.
- The selected intern shall work at the host organization for a minimum of 40 hours a week for 10 weeks during the summer.
Click here for more information.
Applications are now being accepted for AABANY’s 2014 Legal Internship Program. Open to college students, law students and law grads, AABANY is looking for a few talented, energetic and motivated interns to help plan and organize AABANY programs and events, provide research and administrative assistance and perform other tasks and assignments to advance and promote AABANY’s mission. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. For full details and information on how to apply go to bit.ly/Lgl_Intrn_Details.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director Yang Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AABANY Law Review’s Special Edition issue, released at the AABANY Fall Conference, is available for purchase ($20) on the AABANY website at http://bit.ly/aabanylr_curr. The issue features annotated reenactment scripts of five historic Asian American trials written by Honorable Denny Chin, Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu, Kathy Hirata Chin, and Vincent T. Chang. These plays have been presented by Asian American bar associations and law schools all over the nation. The issue includes an introduction and foreword from the authors. Go online and buy your own copy today, or get it as a gift for anyone interested in learning more about Asian American legal history and social justice issues.
In this Issue:
- AABANY Hosts Its Fifth Annual Fall Conference
- President's Letter
- Profile: Norman Lau Kee
- New AABANY LGBT Committee
- 2Q14 Highlights
- Review of Haig's Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts
- Sponsor Spotlight: Morgan Lewis
All Fellowship announcements can now be found on AABANY's website under Resources, in the sub-menu item "Fellowships." To see current announcements for Fellowships go tohttp://bit.ly/aabany_flwshps.
- Dec 9: AABANY Board Meeting, 7pm-9pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 10: AABANY Holiday Party, 6:30pm-9pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 17: In-House Counsel Committee Happy Hour, 6:30pm-8:30pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 18: Tax Committee Planning Meeting, 6pm-7:30pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 8: Brooklyn Bar Association Foundation Annual Dinner, 5:30pm-10pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 9: MBBA Presents: Hands-On Email Newsletter Workshop, 6pm-7:30pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 11: MBBA & the Avant-Garde Network's Holiday Party, 7pm-12am. For more information, click here.
- Dec 15: Asian-Americans & the Law: New York Pioneers in the Judiciary, 6:30pm-8:15pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 15: FALANY's Second Pasko Dinner, 7pm-9pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 16: KALAGNY Annual Holiday Party, 7pm-9pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 17: Launch of FALANY & LEGACY's Legal Advocacy Mentorship Project, 7pm-8:30pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 17: NYCLA's 100th Annual Dinner, 6:30pm-10pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 17: Know Your Rights: Working Together to Eradicate Police Brutality, 5:30pm-7:30pm. For more information, click here.
- Dec 18: NYC Bar General Counsels Diversity & Inclusion Forum, 8am-10:30am. For more information, click here.
- General Counsel, Inlet LLC, Stamford, CT
- Assistant Attorney General, Taxpayer Protection Bureau, Office of the New York State Attorney General, New York, NY
- Senior Corporate Counsel - Patents, Celgene, Summit, NJ
- Corporate Trust Associate, Nixon Peabody, New York, NY
For more information on these listings and other open positions go to the AABANY Career Center. Members must be signed in to have access to the Career Center. Either search by keyword or just hit "Search" at the bottom of the form to see a complete listing of jobs.
|For past weekly announcements, see the archives page.|