Welcome to AABANY’s 2016-2017 Mentorship Program!
| August 1, 2016
|| Application Process Opens for Mentors and Mentees
| September 1, 2016
|| Application Deadline for Mentors and Mentees
| Early to Mid-October
|| Official Kick-Off of the 2016-2017 Mentorship Program, Date and Location TBD
AABANY’s Mentorship Program provides support, advice, and networking opportunities to aid both mentors and mentees in their professional and personal development. Each mentee is matched to a mentor who will serve as a teacher, role model, and resource to the mentee. By way of one-to-one relationships and Mentorship Program events held throughout the year, the program will provide the structure to advance professional growth and networking skills of both mentors and mentees. Mentors and mentees will be AABANY members and may come from any level of experience and practice area.
Our Mentorship Program is different from other programs by focusing on not only practice areas but also personal interests and hobbies when matching mentors and mentees. By doing so, we hope to facilitate long-lasting relationships that are compatible personally as well as professionally. In order to participate in AABANY's Mentorship Program, you must be an AABANY member. Mentors and mentees may come from any level of experience and practice area.
If you are a past participant, please feel free to sign up for a new mentee or mentor. However, we encourage you to maintain your current relationship with your mentee or mentor.
Applications for mentors and mentees for the 2016-2017 Mentorship Program will open on August 1, 2016. Application forms for the Mentorship Program are below. The deadline for both mentor and mentee applications will be September 1, 2016.
The program will officially launch in early to mid October 2016 with the date and location to be determined. Mentors and mentees will get the opportunity to meet their matches at the official launch of the Mentorship Program. Please make an effort to attend the official launch of the program.
Questions? Please direct them to David Sohn or Edward Kang, Co-Coordinators of the Mentorship Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Mentee Responsibilities and Expectations
By participating in this program, the mentee agrees to:
- Initiate contact with the mentor
- Meet with the mentor face-to-face a few times within the course of the year
- Follow-up with the mentor by email/phone and keep the mentor informed of progress/difficulties
- Inform the mentor of any interest in a legal practice area
- Take ownership for his or her own mentoring process and career development
- Be willing to learn and take feedback from the mentor
- Be open to the mentor’s suggestions and make a good effort at implementing them
- Be appreciative of the mentor’s time and support by being punctual, courteous and responsive
Mentor Responsibilities and Expectations
By participating in this program, the mentor agrees to:
- Meet with the mentee face-to-face a few times within the course of the year
- Follow up with mentee
- Acquaint the mentee with his or her law practice
- Provide support, advice and constructive criticism to build the mentee’s skills and confidence
- Establish ground rules with the mentee, e.g., best methods of contact
- Encourage the mentee to contact him or her with any questions or concerns
- Introduce or make the mentee aware of resources, opportunities and other attorneys that would help the mentee with his or her career development
Potential mentors, if you would prefer to send your resume or on-line profile (e.g., LinkedIn), please email David directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your participation in the AABANY 2016-2017 Mentorship Program.